April 26, 2012
For awhile, this amazingly strong product was used exclusively in salons and other professional environments. I've seen pure acetone popping up in lots of stores lately; but until trying it out myself I didn't know it's versatility.
All of these tips call for pure, 100% acetone. You can usually find it at Sally Beauty Supply, most drugstores, Target and Wal-mart- which is where I found the one I use.
Always do a spot test before using this powerful solvent. You can also dilute it with some water before applying it to surfaces. Fabric usually has to be soaked to get the entire stain out. Use with caution, and never apply acetone to cloth with modacrylic, triacetate or acetate on the label as it will dissolve it.
Here are the 15 ways that I've found this product especially useful for removal:
1. Glitter nail polish
All of us polish addicts know the love-hate relationship with using this type of lacquer.
It looks so gorgeous, but it's so hard to take off.
Try soaking a cotton ball in the liquid and holding it on the nail or wrapping aluminium foil around it for a few minutes until most of the texture comes off.
2. Acrylic and Gel Nails
Trim down the faux nail as short as possible then try the soaking trick described above to make removing your manicure easy and painless.
3. Hair Dye
I use this tip when I color my own hair and works so well.
I dip a small cotton cloth in the bottle and rubbed it on the stains on my counter tops as well as the fabric shower curtain and they came right out.
It removes dye of out of most clothing and other soft materials.
Removes spots, stains on surfaces as well as clothing.
Can clean up most metal surfaces.
Those pesky fingerprints, dirt, dust, paint drips, and anything else that happens to ruin the crystal clarity of your view can easily be erased.
Sinks, tubs, and other non-porous surfaces.
Ever apply glue and have it dried on your finger or somewhere else?
A bit of acetone should take it off no problem. This also works for nail glue as well.
9. Magic Marker
We've all had those accidents where maker gets on something that wasn't intended.
Don't panic, just grab your dampened cotton ball and dab away the stain.
10. Scuff Marks
This includes on the floor and on shoes. Be careful as acetone can strip wood.
11. Sticky Residue
There's nothing worse than taking off a sticker and having that annoying gooey texture there.
Let the surface soak for awhile to fully remove it.
Acetone is a great paint thinner and will strip wood and other surfaces.
Sometimes acetone is used for chemical peels- but I would not recommend trying this at home.
It's good for absorbing slippery residues as well as any oils on the finger nails before applying polish.
14. Tree Sap
A super random thing on this list, however if you have ever had an experience with sticky tree sap you will know this is helpful.
Cosmetic stains on plastic, towels, bottles, walls, and anywhere else.
I use this trick when my foundation is hard to remove after it's dried.
I hope you found these tips helpful. Having a bottle of acetone on hand is great for those emergency stain situations, and can double as your go-to polish remover.
As with any flammable liquid, be very cautious when using acetone for reasons other than stated on the bottle. It is potent so dilute it when possible and always do a spot test.
- Short Spring Dresses for Prom 2012 - Fashion Inspi...
- 5 Days Left to Enter Giveaway - M.A.C. Lipstick & ...
- Get Those Feet Ready for Summer Sandals! Foot Soft...
- 15 Unique Tips for Using Acetone
- Puppy Tales - Cutting My Dog's Hair
- Flashy Favorites - Handbag Inspiration
- Benefit Cosmetics Makeup Brushes
- Lustrous Lavender Makeup Look
- It's a 10 Miracle Leave-In Product - Review
- Milani Marbleized Baked Eyeshadow in Green Fortune...
- The Golden Touch - Jewelry Inspiration
- Milani Haute Flash Lipgloss- Flashy & Quick Flash
- MAC Extra Dimension Eye Shadow in Young Venus
- MAC Lovecloud Powder Blush - Tres Cheek Collection...
- Haute Hippy - Fashion Inspiration
- MAC 'Watch Me Simmer' Lipstick - Reel Sexy Collect...
- MAC Haul: Spring Collections
- Blogger Appreciation Award!
- Fashion Inspiration: Easter Glam
- Spring Giveaway - Limited Ed. MAC Lipstick, e.l.f....
- Hair Journey 3.31.12 Update #3
- ▼ Apr (21)
Powered by Blogger.