February 21, 2012
The Aphogee Two-Step Protein Treatment is a professional repair product that helps to stop severe hair breakage and restore health. This has been the one protein treatment in particular that I can give credit to instantly helping my chemically damaged hair. If you haven't yet read my hair journey story, you can find it in the navigation bar at the top of my page, or just click here. A few months ago, I had a terrible experience with an at home relaxer kit that left my hair so dry and damaged, I didn't think I would be able to salvage it. With a balance of protein (especially this one) and moisture conditioners, I have been really lucky to have managed to reverse some of the damage and make my hair look and feel more healthy.
I actually discovered this product randomly at a Sally Beauty Supply a few weeks after using the relaxer. After picking it up and reading the bottle, the claims to help severely processed hair made me decide to give it a try. I swear this was a god-send; it was exactly what my damaged hair needed. After the first use I was shocked at how much better my dry, broken hair looked. It felt so silky and had a shine to it that I had not seen in a very long time. My hair needed the extra protein to rebuild the follicles and put some strength back into them to rebuild the texture and also so it wouldn't fall out so easily.
What is chemically damaged hair?
The use of a treatment that involves a chemical process on the hair which creates a negative reaction. Examples of treatments would be perms, dyes, bleaches, and relaxers. Examples of negative reactions would be breakage, brittleness, severe dryness, broken strands, spongy texture, lack of shine, lack of strength, limpness, extreme frizziness and more.
What is in this product?
Hydrolyzed collagen: Enhances appearance and texture of hair by increasing the body, suppleness or sheen. It improves hair that has been damaged physically or by excessive treatment. (source)
Magnesium sulfate: Curl activator that makes hair more tame yet bouncy and shiny.
Vegetable protein: A plant protein that absorbs easily into hair leaving it radiant, conditioned, and moisturized.
PropHytamine Complex: Special ingredient that utilizes precise levels of proteins and conditioners to maintain healthy hair.
All of these ingredients together fuse into the hair after heat is applied to stop breakage and improve texture.
What type of hair is recommended for this product?
According to Aphogee.com, this treatment is for hair that:
Is too weak or fine to take a perm or relaxer
Will not hold color
Breaks when brushed or combed
Is mushy when wet and brittle after drying
This repair treatment should only be used when hair is intensely damaged with some noticeable breakage. Using such a potent mixture on mild hair that is a bit frizzy or needs a little moisture is not advised because too much protein can actually make the hair follicles become too rigid causing them to break off when any stress (ie. combing and styling) is applied.
There are many other Aphogee products available that are designed for other specific hair issues that might be more appropriate for your hair's individual needs.
The only downside to this treatment is that it has a very unpleasant smell. This doesn't bother me, however those who are more sensitive might find it too strong to withstand. The scent does not last after the product is dried and also does not linger on the hair after rinsing.
How to use it?
There is a very particular way to apply the Aphogee treatment in order to activate certain ingredients to yield desired results. I follow the directions carefully each time to ensure I am using it correctly.
1. I first hop in the shower and shampoo my hair, making sure that it is extra clean. I turn the water off then step out and towel blot my hair so that it isn't dripping wet.
2. I pour a good amount of the liquid in my hands and gently apply it all over my head, making sure to get underneath all my layers. I check that all the hair is completely saturated in the liquid, then use a wide tooth comb to ensure the product is evenly distributed.
3. Next I take my blow dryer and simply direct the heat all around my head, drying the liquid into my hair until it becomes hardened. It is very important not to touch the hair or move it around at all. It does take awhile to dry my entire head this way, but the heat of the dryer is what makes the ingredients fuse into the hair, thus repairing it.
4. After it is completely dry, I go back into the shower and rinse it out with warm water. I then gently squeeze out most of the water and apply a leave-in conditioner specifically targeted towards moisturizing the hair. I leave it on for about 5 minutes then rinse. Once I style my hair by blow drying and flat ironing it, I can instantly notice how soft and healthy it looks and feels.
How often should it be used?
I use this product once every 4-6 weeks as instructed. I try to mark the calendar on the day I apply it so that it's easy to remember for next time.
I would recommend this to anyone with chemically damaged hair who experiences any of the severe hair problems from the list above. This amazing protein product is helping to restore my hair back to a healthy state; slowly but surely.
4 oz. bottle available at Sally Beauty Supply for $7.99
- My 7th Versatile Blogger Award!
- Fashion Inspiration: The Modern Bohemian
- Kelly Green Smoked Out Crease Look
- Love your Lips! Lush Bubblegum Lip Scrub
- Laura Geller Blush -N- Brighten: Como & Portofino
- Maybelline Superstay 14 Hr Lipstick: Perpetual Peo...
- Essie 'Jazz' and Revlon 'Sparkling' Nail Polish Lo...
- Hair Health: Aphogee Two-Step Protein Treatment
- Flirty Brights Look - Carry Bradshaw Inspired
- 1 Month Anniversary!
- Copper Sunset Wearable Makeup Look
- Ecotools Limited Edition Beautiful Expressions Kab...
- Favorite Fragrances: Victoria's Secret Bombshell
- Highlighting the Eye: Inner Corner, Waterline & Br...
- e.l.f. Studio Blush & a Nars Orgasm Dupe!
- Wet 'n' Wild Spoiled Nail Color: Toad-ally Amazing...
- D.I.Y Clip-in Hair Feather Extensions
- Sharing the Love- Want to be on my Page?
- Cozy on Valentine's Look
- Cute Blog Award #2 & #3
- Physicians Formula Happy Booster: Beige
- Maybelline Great Lash Mascara: Royal Blue
- Lush Ultrabalm
- Yes to Cucumber Soothing Eye Gel
- Purple Haze with Blue Mascara Makeup Look
- L'Oreal Go 360 Clean Cleanser
- Wet 'n' Wild Color Icon: Silent Treatment
- One Lovely Blog Award & My Nominees
- Inspiration: Modern 50's Look
- Natural Skincare: Bio-Oil
- Buxom Conditioning Lashliner: Suede
- Valentine's Date Outfit
- L'Oreal Infallible Eye Shadow: Amber Rush
- Hair Journey 1/31/12: Update #1
- Cute & Simple Perfume Sample DIY Idea
- NYX Round Lipstick: Power and Thalia
- TRESemme Heat Tamer Spray
- Vintage Style Army Boots
- Maybelline Illegal Length Mascara
- Revlon Age Defying Concealer
- ▼ Feb (40)
Powered by Blogger.